Sunday, July 1, 2007

Still Sweet And Bright (November 18th 2006)

Kellee and I celebrated our 7-year honeymoon this week. For the past couple of years we have not done much on our Anniversary, since we were dealing with the adoption. This year didn't look much better; we had talked about going to San Francisco for a couple of weeks, but kept putting off setting any plans into effect. Mainly this was due to the fact that it was promotion time at my company. So I have been preparing to take the test, waiting on the results, and then waiting for a date to have more testing. Since, promotions testing only come around every 2-3 years, this took a little more priority for us than planning a trip.

When the air finally cleared and we realized we had the time to go on a trip, it was already to late to make plans for SF (at least in my mind, I want it planned out so that I can see everything of interest and go to the right restraints, cafés, and so forth. I don't want to just stroll around).

So then we decided on Las Vegas. I have only been twice in my adult life, once for a couple days with Kellee and once for a couple hours with some friends. The latter was not such a pleasant experience, since it was 120 degrees in the evening, I was dehydrated, and most my day was spent in the parking lot of a Grateful dead concert.

I am not much of a gambler; the last time I went with Kellee I played $20 at the slots was dripping in sweat from being so nervous and frustrated. Kellee and I are not much of partiers as well. I think I have only been to one or two bars in my life, and then only briefly. So, these two things would not be reasons for us to go and hang out in Sin city, but the shows might be. Since we have been married, Kellee has told me that she has wanted to see one of the Cirque shows. So this is what we decided we would do for our Anniversary…go and watch a show. We had our minds made up on O or Love (which is a show covering the Beatles career). However, we kept forgetting to make reservations. So when I finally sat down to reserve our seats ALL the Cirque shows in town were sold out! We thought about pushing the dates back a week, but testing for promotions was that week. So we could go, but what's the point, the only thing we want to do in Vegas (besides walk around and eat) was not an available option.

What then does can a couple do locally that is easy to plan but still a nice get away; especially, for a couple that already has Disneyland and San Diego Zoo passes. Well, on Friday two days before we were two leave, I made our plans and reservations. What does one do in California? Wine Tasting. That's correct, we decided that we would head up to the central coast for a couple of days and try something we have always thought about doing but haven't got around to it.

I reserved last minute rooms (literally, the women on the phone said "well you have 48hrs to cancel, but you don't have that opportunity, so you better be sure".) at the Apple Farm Inn in San Luis Obispo. I found a number of wineries in the area that had tasting rooms, and asked my parents to watch Faith. This worked out great, because my parents only live about 15 minutes from SLO, so it was nice knowing that if anything went awry we could still be fairly close. Also, it was nice to know our daughter was so close, since this was the first night we would let her stay the night somewhere without us.

So, Sunday Afternoon we were off! Four hours later we were at my parents dropping off Faith and heading to our Room at the Apple Farm Inn. We have had some friends stay there and everyone we talked to loved their stay. It certainly is a beautiful hotel. It's nice, cozy, comfortable, and everything in your room matches: drapes, comforter, and wallpaper. However, if you were going to stay in SLO I would recommend the Madonna Inn over the Apple Farm. Maybe, I just enjoy the Gaudiness over the quaint country atmosphere. I mean if your going to pay that much money wouldn't you rather spend the night in the Caveman room?!!

Also, I had pictured the Apple Farm to be away from the rest of the town. This was not the case; it was right off the freeway, and surrounded by other hotels. Also, it was sort of disappointing finding out that the name Apple Farm has nothing to do with Apples or a Farm. I thought this would be like Riley's Farm in Oak Glen or something of the nature. However they just named it that because the owners wanted to invoke true Americana and when one thinks of Apples they think Moms and home made apple pies.

No matter, it was still nice and quaint and worked great for short notice. We arrived at the Apple Farm around 6:00 pm and were pretty wiped out. We had a short rest and then it was off to dinner and to stroll around the downtown.

Anyhow, I will share about the rest of our trip in couple of segments, since this is getting a little long and drawn out. Until then….
Apple Farm Inn Restraunt and Gift shop
In front of the Main lobby



#18- First room on top was our pad.




Millhouse




Millhouse #2

0 comments: