Monday, July 16, 2007

Donut Hole (March 16, 2007)

Yesterday I took off work to head out to Fountain Valley for some personal business that I will not get into here, but my family went along for the ride, so we decided to make the most of it and headed out for a new destination to discover. This weeks place of interest was the Donut Hole in La Puente.

We left a little late, around 9:00 am but it was still morning and Faith was excited about Donuts. We hit the freeway and I didn't expect the unbearable traffic that late in the morning. The traffic was trudging along enough to say it wasn't stalled; I was getting angrier by the minute. Then as usual we found that the traffic was due to looy-loo's checking out an accident on the other side of the freeway.

I detest Looky-loos, but even I must admit this was one collision that was hard to take my eyes off ; the whole top part of the cab of a F150 was completely gone, and there was a child seat in the middle of the street. You just can't comprehend the damage and it would be hard to imagine that anyone walked away. Beyond the wreckage and the emergency response teams the thing that stuck out was how many News vans were on the side of the road! It was unbelievable how many reporters were there; it was like being at OJ's get away. Anyhow the scene made me feel like a complete ass, because I was so angry that I had to wait an extra 15 minutes. I read today that 5 people were killed in the accident.

Moving on, we got a couple miles up the road when the traffic slowed to a halt once again. I couldn't take the traffic any longer and had no desire to see another accident so I hit the off ramp and tried to find our destination by instinct and some dumb-luck. Needless to say we made it to the Donut Hole by 11:30 and opted to have donuts for lunch! The Donut Hole is Awesome! I don't think I can describe to you the absolute giddy adoration that comes over you when you find such a gem as the Donut Hole! How great is it that someone went through the trouble to build a store that looks like a donut that you can drive through; it's programmatic architecture at its finest. Even though it was close to noon the donuts were still very fresh and tasted delicious. We snapped some pics and off we went.



A couple miles down the road in El Monte, there is a Muffler man located at a sign shop. I have only seen pictures of these plastic giants and thought it would be fun to get some photos with one of them before they slowly go the way of the Buffalo. So we stopped by, unfortunately it was in front of a business that had a lot of equipment in the front of it, making a picture with the giant improbable. Kellee did get out of the truck and take a couple of pics for me.


So there it is, our California sight seeing day wrapped up and we were off to Fountain Valley. The story does not end there however; we decided to stop and get some real lunch and agreed upon pizza (mainly because it was across the street from my main destination). Low and behold, they had a pinball machine! So Faith and I played a coupled of games on the out dated machines.
Faith was not hungry though, I thought from the donuts but later found out that I was wrong. Kellee and her then went to the park to wait for me, something she loves to do, but just not today. She was reluctant to go on the slides and didn't want to play with the other kids, all she wanted to do was sit with her mom. When I showed up I had to practically force her to go and play.

Then Kellee had to leave for a short time. During that time, Faith came to me and said, "Papa go home right now! Go home, go to bed!"

I teasingly asked her, "You want to leave without mama?"

"Yes. Right Now!"

I told her that we couldn't leave Mama behind, so she crawled up in my lap and laid down; she looked tired and exhausted. Soon we were on the road again and stuck in commuter traffic. Kellee and Faith were passed out and left me alone to stew in my frustration. Then all of the sudden, while parked on the freeway, Faith woke up crying hysterically. Moments later she was throwing up her pizza and donuts all over herself, the car seat, and my upholstery. There was a horrific stench of digested sprinkled donuts permeating my truck that over took the fresh car scent I had applied days earlier. There we were on the 57 Freeway (or for those of you out east, just 57) in the sweltering 77-degree heat trying not to suffocate from the foul odor. Surprisingly, Faith took it with great stride. After the up chuck, she stopped crying; maybe she was in shock of what had just transpired. So, I did my best to move the truck over from the car pool lane to the off ramp, cussing and cutting; we barely made it off the freeway, to which we were extremely thankful. It would have been a couple miles of foulness before another off ramp. We got to the 7-11 and began cleaning things up when we noticed she exploded from both ends. Again thankfully we had an extra set of clothes! Afterwards, she was back to her normal self, the little girl bubbling with joy. This was our first experience dealing with a sick kid it would have been nicer to deal with it at home, but you still have to deal.

Anyhow that's our short day trip.

0 comments: