Monday, July 14, 2008

Fire Nozzle Tower

I am trying to catch up on some long over due blogging. A little over six months a go I went to San Francisco on a quick one day trip to see the sights. I've posted three blogs detailing my trips, but I have lost the other two rough drafts I started, so instead of being all wordy about my little adventure I figured it would be better to just throw up the pics and give a little commentary.

This blog is of Coit Tower. We decided to walk instead of take the bus and found ourselves cascading up a series of endless stairs. Half way through I was beginning to believe there might be a purgatory. I was out of breath and begging for life, while Jonathan was mocking me the whole way. I probably would have beat him to a pulp and thrown him down the stairs but my fat butt couldn't catch him. At one point, near the top of the stairs my legs became jelly and literally gave out on me.

Oh yeah, there were parrots flying overhead too. Jonathan was as giddy as a school girl, because he had just seen a documentary on the parrots of Telegraph Hill a couple weeks prior.
This was just the beginning

At the top of the beginning of the stairs

1/3 of the way Running out of breath

Once we got to the tower though, I wanted to go the whole distance! My plan was to walk up to the top. My travel guides stated that this would be an acceptable option. However, the tiny Asian lady behind the counter told us that this was incorrect; the stairs were out of order! So we had to pay the $4-5 bucks to take the elevator. The biggest slap in the face though, was getting on the elevator and seeing a tip jar! Are you insane!? I just paid you $5 bucks to ride this thing!

Coit Tower was built in 1933 when Lillie Coit bequeathed one-third of her estate for it to be built. Some say it's in the design of a fire nozzle, because she had such an affinity for the fire department during her day. Inside the tower the murals were inspired and commissioned during the Great Depression.

After telling all this, I must say, the place was a let down. The trial of ascending Telegraph Hill was much more interesting than the final destination.
The View of from the Tower
Some of the murals
Finally done

0 comments: