Sunday, June 6, 2010

Mono Lake

Our last stop of the trip was to Mono Lake. Prior to going, I had seen some really amazing pictures of the Tufa Towers and thought since we were so close, we should really make our way out to the lake and take a gander. I suppose the pictures on my blog really don't do the place justice, one really needs to be there in the early morning or evening hours to catch the beauty of the light reflecting off the water. Ours was taken during the afternoon (that's the best you can do when trying to get three girls ready to go!). 

We had bought a little brochure on the lake, in which it encouraged you to float in the lake (we didn't notice until later that the brochure was over 10 years old), so the adventurer I am, brought my swimming trunks and got ready to jump in. My wife's Aunt and nephew were ready to do so as well! When we decided to finally go into the lake, since we had to get the kids changed into their swimsuits, Aunt Kim and son AJ were already dressed, so they went first,. By the time we got the kids ready, Aunt Kim and AJ were coming back and pleading with us not to go in. Apparently, the water was rather soupy and filled with dead brine shrimp, plus there were a billion flies buzzing around in black masses, and the water smelled bad. Thus, we skipped out on swimming in Mono Lake and I've been kicking myself ever since.


2 comments:

socalwingnut said...

I don't know why you'd be kicking yourself, dude. They STANK when they got back in the car. Like they had been swimming in a dead fish stew. Trust me, it's an experience you were smart to avoid.

socalwingnut said...

Next time, we should go around to the other side of the lake.