Friday, September 12, 2008

A king is Born!


Since we went to the recording studio where Elvis exploded into Stardom, and went to the gaudy grand place known as Graceland, we thought we might as well stop by the place of Elvis’ humble beginnings; Tupelo, Mississippi.


I love streetslights on a wire...it's like Christmas year round.

Interestingly enough, I found out afterwards that this is also the hometown of my stepfather’s dad. I never had the chance to meet the man, but it’s interesting to find some family history on the journey.


It was a couple bucks to walk through the house and see it preserved almost the way it was when Elvis was a kid. They also have an Elvis museum on site, but after spending a couple hours at Grace just prior it didn’t seem all that fascinating to try out. They also had a gift shop, with a fairly large overpriced selection of Elvis goodies. I did purchase a postcard, which they will send for you if you request.


On the Porch where the King was born.

The house was a really quick tour. I mean it’s only two rooms; the bedroom area when you walk in and the kitchen area. But, for fast-paced historical roots of an icon, it was worth the visit. I enjoyed the house much more than Graceland, it didn’t feel like going to see a big production.

I’m told that down the street, somewhere in the quaint downtown section of tupelo there is still the Hardware store where Elvis’ mom bought him his first guitar. So, if your traveling around trying to get your Elvis tour in you might want to stop there as well.



The inside furnishings of the two room house.



A relica model of the car Elvis and his family used to move to Memphis.

2 comments:

ေဆာင္း said...

Hi, I am from UK. I just know about Mystery spot in your site. I love to go there from LA. Is there any bus tour ticekt (from LA to Mystery spot, santa cruz)?

Pls advise me ... Great thanks
Pls leave me msg in my site.

I love to read your tour posts. :-)

Thanks a lot

foldreformer said...

Hello UK,

Sorry but for some reason I am unable to read your blog from my computer. So, I'll have to respond here.

First thanks for taking the time to read my post and for the kind comments. They are much appreciated.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any site-seeing companies that go from LA to Santa Cruz; probably because it's a six hour drive from one to the other. I'm not saying there not out there, I just don't know of them.

But if you just want to get from one city to the other by bus, I would suggest Greyhound (Greyhound.com). You can get a one way ticket for about $40. However, it looks like it's about a nine hour drive by bus.

You can also take the Train (Amtrak) or fly into Monterey or San Francisco for sugnificantly more money.

Hope it all works out for you!