Friday, September 12, 2008

Buying Your Way Into Graceland

The Front of GracelandThe Backside of Graceland...much like the backside of water

The overall mantra is if your going to go to Memphis then you must see Graceland! However, after checking the estate out I believe I was fooled. Not that it was all bad, but for the money…a hefty $27 bucks per person to walk through a couple rooms was not what I had in mind.


The plan was to get to Memphis early on Monday and do both the Sun Studios Recording tour and see Graceland. However, instead of arriving early morning/afternoon we pulled into Memphis around 4 pm. So, we had to make a change of plans and decide what we were going to see on Monday which ended up being Sun Studios. The next day we rose early and were out the door by 8:30 am if I recall correctly and were there by 9:30. The place was already packed. It felt like I was standing in a line for Disneyland; only slower. After we purchased our tickets, we went to another line to load into a van to transport us across the street to the Mansion. The Vans held, I’m guessing, 30 people at the most. Then you had to wait for another 5-10 minutes for another van to come and pick you up. Really, if this is going to be the modus operandi then at least they should talk with Disney about getting their tram system; much more efficient.


The tour consisted of the downstairs portion of the Mansion (the top is closed off to the public). He had a basic family room and dining room area. The kitchen is tantamount to what would be found in a mobile home built in the 1980s (I should know I lived in one), nothing impressive, though I suppose at the time it was a big deal. Then he had some freaky rooms: the yellow lighting bolt room, the pool room with cloth from floor to ceiling, and the tiki room. We were shown outside and then went through what was basically a museum of his life and career. A room of some of his fabulous clothing, a room with all his platinum and gold records; it was impressive, but I came to get a glimpse into where the King lived and how he lived. I don’t think the self-guided tour accomplished that task.


Don’t get me wrong, it was enjoyable and the place was interesting, it just wasn’t worth the price of admission. I would point people to the much more interesting Sun Studios tour.

Off Limits!!!

Trailer Park Kitchen

TCB- Taking Care o' Business

Hanging out in Elvis bar- that's always a thumbs up!!!

Tiki Room




Elvis Wardrobe and awards





Elvis has left the Buliding!

2 comments:

Ken and Cathy Mumper said...

Aaron, your blog is awesome!

Kristin said...

Thanks for the link ! (Did I say that already ? Can't remember.) I have been to Graceland, once, in a time before digital cameras were for normal folk and blogs were commonplace ... so it was great to see it again ! I think I took the same tour you did - totally cheesy but totally worth it.