Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Cross of Groom

In Groom Texas we found the Second largest Cross in the Western Hemisphere. The spot is a couple miles down the road from The Big Texan and a nice place to stop to let out the flood of sweat tea. Actually, this was another location I had found prior to our trip that I thought would make for a cool photo op. From what I had seen on the Internet, it simply looked like a huge cross in the middle of a field. I was under the impression that you just pulled off the side of the road and took a picture. However, I was delightfully wrong about my assumption as there was much more to the place than just a giant cross. The Cross was placed Cross Ministries ( A Catholic Organization).



I suspect Jonathan enjoyed the place more knowing that the Cross was placed by Catholics. As I recall he wasn’t too excited about doing another stop in Texas, and wanted to get to the hotel as soon as possible. Plus stopping to see what those crazy Dallas Seminary Fundamentalist had erected was not his idea of a good time. But I was driving, so for the moment the trip was in my control. However, I think I actually saw his face light up when he found realized that it had a Catholic origin and began to enjoy the site.

This American Holy site was well thought out and planned. Around the Towering Corrugated metal cross were statues of the 12 Stations of the Cross. Also, there was the scene of Jesus sharing his last Passover with his disciples, then steps leading to the three crosses on Golgotha’s Hill. Near the first part of the 12 Stations, their was a statue of Jesus kneeling, praying ,and in tears, while holding a fetus in his hand. The statue of Jesus and the fetus was placed by The knights of Columbus. This was a moving statue, but lost some of its reverence when Jim took photos of his Lego Man next to the Fetus.They also had a nice, but expensive gift shop and book store. The restrooms were the nicest I went into on the whole trip, but we were out of California so there was still no seat covers. Who knows maybe they think it’s a form of Birth Control (That’s a joke folks)!


1 comments:

contrarian 78 said...

I love that Texas sky.
As far as loving that place because it was made by Catholics, I wasn't dreading going there. But that it had things that I am studying currently like the 12 stations of the cross did give it a bonus feel. And the week before I had just seen a similar memorial stone (sans the statue of Our Lord) placed by the Knight of Columbus in Westminster California, at Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church. I got to visit the first Church I had ever attended during the first ~4 years of my life, but sadly no strong memories of that time came to me. So yeah, God bless that place to get people thinking about the cross, even if the people who made it were fundamentalists/evangelicals/etc!