Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Petersburg to Richmond: Going to the Flay Slayer

On the last leg of our trip we headed to Richmond, Va.. On the way there we stopped in Petersburg, I think to
get a map of Richmond or something. The town had an old feel to it and was a pleasant place to relax. No wonder Jonathan decided he wanted to enjoy the atmosphere and have lunch there! Yet, Jim was in disagreement; it was still early and the plan was to eat lunch in a Richmond. So, Jonathan looked to me as the tie breaking vote. Unbeknownst to both of them though, I had my own plans to eat in Richmond. I told Jonathan we were going to Richmond to eat at a fabulously famous BBQ joint. I could tell he was already flustered, but was ready to go along.

"Alright, what's the name of the place?"


"I Don't know." I replied.


"What? What district is it located in?"


"I don't know."


"Aaron, it's a big city, you're not just going to be able to drive around and find the place."


Jonathan was visibly upset and frustrated with my planning at this point, however I was undetered, so he started the car.


The only thing I did know was that the BBQ place was named after two people, one with a slightly weird name, and the place had won a throw down against Bobby Flay. I let Jonathan in on these facts, as I searched the Tom Tom for any name that might strike a chord.


About half way there, Jonathan turned to me and said, "It's not called Buzz and Ned's, is it?"


"Yeah. that's it!"


Jonathan was giggly after that and called his wife to get directions. Apparently he and his family had eaten there on there last outing to Richmond. He had remembered the looped taping of the Bobby Flay Throw Down and the amazing BBQ.


We got to Buzz and Ned's and the place did not disappoint! The BBQ was amazing. I shared a full rack of ribs with Jim and had a pulled pork sandwich. The Ribs were spectacular and sufficed every rib craving I had. The pulled pork was tasty but not as mouth-wateringly fabulous as THE Whole Hogs.


The place was packed; luckily we got there before the line got too big. All the staff wore shirt's that said something like Buzz and Ned's The Flay Slayer! Which was pretty savvy marketing in my opinion. Of course, there is a tape playing continuously of the show where Buzz and Ned's beats Bobby Flay in the Throw Down.


Petersburg
Cool Black building! You don't find many of those in California.



Tasty!
BUZZ and NED'S!

0 comments: